Friday, November 04, 2005

Secrets of Halloween and the Melbourne Cup

After almost three weeks in Brisbane we are beginning to settle in. We solved the mystery of Halloween or the seeming lack of despite reports to the contrary. Apparently, Halloween is somewhat of a new holiday in Australia and not widely celebrated. One of our neighbors who has a son in Erik's class (and who happens to have pentacles carved in her front gate) has been quite keen on promoting trick or treating and all trappings that go along with the 31st of October. Last year was the first year they tried it and even posted flyers to inform the residents of our particular street. This year she didn't have the time and just had the kids "try their luck". No wonder, once we went around the block, there wasn't a single light on or any sign of Halloween activity!

Apart from that, Erik has been doing great. He was interested in playing cricket, but I haven't got any idea of what that involves, so it will have to wait until next year. Unbelieveably, we seem fairly busy. This week, for example, on Tuesday Erik went over to his classmate's house down the street for a playdate and a swim. (They have a pool, so hopefully they will become good friends!) He had swim lessons on Wednesday and then after stayed for free swim. Thurdsay, he invited the same boy over to play at our house, and today, Friday, we are going to look for a bicycle. I'm nearly as booked. I joined a gym and am going to various exercise classes and use the club's pool. I volunteer on Mondays to help with swimming/PE classes at Erik's school (if you haven't noticed swimming is rather big here.) and on Fridays I help with art. With all that, going to the library to use the internet, and dealing with house stuff, I don't think I'll be getting bored any time soon. Hopefully we'll be getting a home phone and internet hook up next week, so I can take more time and care in composing and posting pictures. My half hour is up!

No comments: