Saturday, November 12, 2005

More on Plants





Since I had trouble uploading my pictures with the slow dial up (the saga continues but I’m trying not to whine), here is the next installment on plants in Australia. Actually some are not unique to Australia are just more common in the tropics. FYI Brisbane is situated approximately 27 degrees south, just below the Tropic of Capricorn. Another favorite is the plumeria, of which we have several in our yard, Plumeria rubra ‘Golden Kiss’ to be more specific, see picture above. It not only has lovely flowers but also is quite fragrant. So with the plumeria in the yard and the jasmine on the veranda, along with the bamboo wind chimes, I’m trying to create a multi sensory tropic experience, something to encourage us to live outdoors rather than confine ourselves to air-conditioned house. But who knows, I may change my tune when the temperatures start to creep above 30 (I guessing that’s about 85 Fahrenheit –I just know 30 Celsius is pretty dang hot, and 25 is pleasant.) In any event, the plumeria is probably familiar to those who have visited Hawaii. It also occurs as in white with a yellow center and is frequently used in leis.

No comments: