Thursday, November 10, 2005

Australian Flora




Well, I intended to write a short piece about Australian plants and post some pictures to accompany it, but our dial up is not cooperating, so you're only getting one picture today.

One enjoyable aspect about moving to a new continent and climate is dicovering all the different types of greenery that grow there. Some plants, like palms and gum trees (eucalyptus)are easily recognizable, but others are a completely unfamilar. One of our new favorites is the jakaranda, pictured above, a leafy tree with bright bluish purple bell shaped blossoms. Although they are appreciated by the majority of Australians, it's been said that students dread them as they their vibrant flowers signal the start of exams. It guess it's all in your perspective.

Another tree we like it the fig, or ficus tree. Tomorrow I post a picture of one of the largest figs in the Brisbane area. Not only is it larger than your little potted house plant, its base alone is likely larger than the living room your potted plant is resides in. It's amazing what some sun and rain will do.

On a more personal note, today I went out to a garden store with some of the other Boeing wives and bought some plants for our veranda. To start our own little tropical paradise, I got some jasmine and bouginvillea and hope to fill it in with some palms and orchids as time goes on.

No comments: