
With a high of 34 (about 93 F) and 85% humidity, yesterday was one of the steamier afternoons we’d experienced since arriving in Brisbane. I went for my bike ride early and was back by 8:30, but Mark putted around working on his brakes and didn’t get going until after 10:00 am, which may seem reasonable for a Saturday but is quite late here as the temperature climbs with each passing hour (reaching a high around 3:00 pm).
With Mark out riding, rather than just sit in the air-conditioned house all day, Erik and I went down to the sailing club to take out a boat and enjoy some of the cool river breezes. I’ve gone out with just Erik on the Lasar at Hood Canal and on the Blanchards at the Center for Wooden Boats, so I knew we’d be fine. We didn’t race this time but practiced tacking and jibing with Erik even getting some time on the helm and his first clunk on the head with the boom. Sailing our “pirate ship” Mirror with its red sails by the Sabot fleet was a great source of amusement and inspiration as some of the kids were only a little bit older than Erik.
Later, Mark walked over from the house after recovering from his ride (and probably some degree of dehydration) and took a turn with Erik, racing one of the upwind legs and actually passing a few boats. Maybe next time we will try racing!
1 comment:
Brad finds it fun to beat on little kid sailors too!
PJ
Post a Comment