Friday, October 09, 2009

Lake Cootharaba II


For the last part of Erik's "spring" school holiday we went up to Lake Cootharaba to join some friends for a bit of sailing and kayaking. We rented a little bungalow by the lake and enjoyed the slow pace of Boreen Point which boasts one small shop, one cafe open only for breakfast and lunch, a collection of holiday homes, campground, sailing club and historic pub down the road. It's so safe and quiet feeling that we can send Erik down the street to the store to get milk or an ice cream and not worry at all. Most of the activity in town involves people launching their boats or sailboards, taking advantage of the breezes that come across from the nearby coast.

I finally got a chance to sail our dinghy with Erik. Unfortunately when the wind came up, we were a bit too light, so Mark had to come along to help keep the boat flat, which made the boat a bit cozy. Even though it was a bit windier than I would have liked, I got a bit of paddling in, this time down the Noosa River going toward the ocean. I saw a platter sized stingray but thankfully no bull sharks.

No comments: