I've emailed quite a few people, but in case I missed anyone I thought I should post here. My father Wade has been missing in the High Sierras for five days now. He had planned to solo hike up Mount Whitney last Sunday, October 18th and never returned. Search and rescue efforts have been hampered by high winds and unusually low temperatures.
Today, Friday in the US, they have finally been able to search with helicopters. We are hoping to find him safe but are preparing for the worst. My sister Julie and I are flying to LA today and then driving to to join my mom and other sister in Lone Pine, California, where search and rescue efforts are based.
Here is a picture of Mt Whitney that my dad took last year. He has always been into hiking, and although this trip would have been a challenge for him, it was not beyond his ability.
Here are some links: Mt Whitney Trailhead store and weather , My sister's Search for Wade Blog, News Reports

No comments:
Post a Comment