After talking with a few people on Skype and having Erik show off the guinea pigs, I realized I never wrote a post about them or about the loss of the budgies (parakeets) a few years ago.
Allowing Erik to have a normal childhood with pets has been a bit of a challenge for us living overseas in a rental house. After the escape of the Sunny and Sky and the demise of the hermit crabs, we decided no more small caged animals. We would just wait and get a dog or cat after we moved back to the US. However after another year long extension of Mark's contract, the waiting got harder. Both Erik and I would longingly linger over dog and cat adoption websites, inquire after dog breeds and get books from the library. We even went to look at puppies at the pet shop. While we were "just looking", we happened to see some guinea pigs, which basically met the criteria of cuddly, cute, contained and able to be "re-homed" upon our departure. Originally we just got one, but everyone we met and everything we read said that guinea pigs really are social creatures and should have a friend, so now we have Molasses (above) and Cinnamon (below). 
So far they have been great fun, easy to take care of, a source of joy and responsibility for Erik. Now I just hope they that way until we move home.
No comments:
Post a Comment