Sunday, September 20, 2009

A Month of Birthdays

Although September has been a busy month for us, I haven't felt inspired to write much, perhaps because it's all things I've written about before: kayaking, sailing, Erik's birthday, and work (I'm back at my old job, filling in for teachers on vacation).

After four years, I guess events just seem like a normal part of life rather than an "Australian" adventure. We have made many friends, seen people come and go, watch friends have babies, and this month celebrated four birthdays! Two mums from school were turning forty, which seems to be quite the occassion here. One friend, my Thursday evening running partner, code name Posh, celebrated in style with a champagne high tea on the river, and the other hired out a function room for a cocktail and dance party for over a hundred people, including a gaggle of girlfriends and family from Sydney.

Thankfully Erik's birthday was considerably more sedate. He chose to have two close friends come spend the night and was quite happy with a simple, more relaxed celebration, his idea of a good time being pizza, Star Wars DVDs and military strategy board games, on this occassion, Allies vs. Axis.

Then, tonight we had a neighbor/cycling friend, who will turning 51 tomorrow, over for dinner and cake. Her husband has been overseas and will in fact be back in Brisbane tomorrow for her actual birthday. However, we figured he would be too tired to organize much of a party after a 25 hour flight from London and thought she might enjoy a bit of attention. It's all been fun, but I'll be glad for a bit of a break from birthdays!

No comments: