Today we got two boxes that we had shipped along with one of Mark's co-worker's household goods. We opted for buying new household goods (at Boeing's expense) rather than shipping and seeing how long it took for the other families to get their furniture, I think we made the right decision.
Since it has been almost four months, I'd almost forgotten what we had packed. We were amused to find quite a few Christmas items, cookie cutters, stories, snow globe, etc. Maybe they will be useful at some point, depending on when we schedule our home visits, but more than likely the Christmas stuff will just get packed away only to come out once we return to the U.S. in two years time.
Other items that seemed completely ridiculous at this point are the fleece jackets and wool socks we packed. We hadn't planned on using them any time soon, maybe for a ski trip to New Zealand in July, but the irony of unpacking them in 85 degrees didn't escape us.
We had also sent a lot of beginning readers that are now a bit too easy for Erik, but they will help him realize how much progress he's made. He's actually quite ready to go back to school. The other day, when we went to the yacht club, he wanted to wear his school uniform, and he keeps asking about when school starts. (Jan 23rd) I think he mostly misses the daily social interaction with other kids, but I can always hope that he misses the learning too.
No comments:
Post a Comment