While all of you in Seattle may have been enjoying the snow and possibly a day off school, here in Brisbane, we've been wrapping up the school year. Although I was aware that the school year ended on tthe 9th of December, I was surprised to see Erik's books and school supplies already coming home in his backpack. I don't know what they will be doing the next week, but apparently it won't involve notebooks, scissors, or colored pens. It just seems so strange that this isn't just winter break, but the end of the school year, and classes won't start up again until January 23rd!
After talking with his teacher and looking at the work of other students, we decided that Erik will be staying on in 1st grade. He has made great progress in the month and a half he's been here, but not enough to be ready for second grade. Luckily, one of his friends who just turned six is staying on too, so he won't feel as bad.
It was quite informative to talk with the teacher and look at the work of the other children in the class and the second graders work. One thing that particularly impressed me was the quality of their writing. The end of year second grade samples were as good if not better than the fourth grade work I had seen when I was student teaching.
No comments:
Post a Comment