
This year for Thanksgiving we decided to do something different. Different that is than hanging out by the pool, which is pretty much the Queensland norm for any sort of gathering in the summer. Since not many of us had tried lawn bowling yet, and soon two more American Boeing families would be heading home, it was decided that Thanksgiving would be a good opportunity to give it a try.
Lawn Bowling is nothing like ten pin bowling, but more like petanque or bocce, where a small ball is thrown and then opposing teams try to toss larger balls as close as possible. At first Erik and I were fairly hopeless but showed some improvement after dinner. It's a pretty sedate game, even slower moving than cricket. Like shuffle board, croquet, horseshoes, it's one of those activities that you can do with a drink in hand and where age seems to be an advantage. As a one off group game, lawn bowling was fun. However, I don't think I'll be heading off to buy a set of balls any time soon.

No comments:
Post a Comment