Thursday, November 08, 2007

Noosa Triathlon

It's been a long time in coming and countless kilometers in training, but the Noosa Multisport Festival and Triathlon finally come and gone. And what a weekend it was! There were so many events to participate in we could have been going round the clock for four days had we been so inclined. As it turned out, we bailed on one dinner with my triathlon club and a fun run because it was just too much to try to squeeze in between the Ocean swim on Friday, a pre-race ride, registration and bike racking on Saturday and another dinner party on Sunday along with Mark's mountain bike rides every day. I can see where there so much going on, it would be easy to lose ones focus of the actual triathlon.

My race went well even though there were a lot of distractions. It was my first true Olympic distance event, 1.5km swim, 40 km bike, 10km run, and something for which I really had to prepare. My finishing time of 2 hours 43 minutes and 5 seconds put me in 20th place out of 78 finishers in my age group. This was far beyond my goal of placing in the top half, so I was obviously quite pleased and grateful for all the support and encouragement Mark and Erik have given me over the past six months or so. It was hard, but I felt ready and actually enjoyed the experience.

In the evening after the race, we went to a BBQ dinner at a resort where some friends were staying, unbelievably I was thinking, "Next year, we should stay here." Next year ?!? Have I lost my mind?

No comments: