Saturday, October 13, 2007

Sailing Circus

Along with the change of season, it seems we have settled into a new Saturday routine. Mark goes on his 6:00 am group ride. Yeah, I know it's early. At first we thought Queenslanders were crazy too! But now we understand everyone gets going early to beat the heat. 60 or 80 kilometers later, when Mark gets back, I make lattes and waffles for breakfast. Then I get ready to go for a swim or gym session. Once I return home, it's time to start thinking about lunch and get organized for sailing, which mostly involves packing snacks and iced water bottles to keep the crew (Erik) happy and putting my kayak on the car or packing a book to read.

The river sailing here is incredibly civilized, with the skippers' meeting at 2:00 pm and first start soon to follow once the sea breeze fills in. Then it's one or two races and everyone in by 4:30 pm at the latest. While this may not sound all that exciting for serious racers, it works really well for eight year-olds and people who don't want to give up their whole day to go sailing. Another part of this new routine that I'm fully taking advantage of is the "take away" dinner deal. Since we get home kind of late to start dinner and we are all hungry, we've agreed that it's "take away" night and I don't have to cook. I just order and pick up.


Today there wasn't much wind and the race was abandoned, but Erik had a blast anyway trying out the hiking straps and playing "Sailing Circus" which involved hanging his head over and getting his hair wet. We also saw some dolphins but luckily no bull sharks.

No comments: