| Victoria Harbour for Van Isle 360 Race |
I don't know if anyone is still following our blog, but we had a busy summer filled with lots of adventures. We began by sailing in the Van Isle 360 sailboat race around Vancouver Island on our friend Stuart's J120 (36 foot race boat). Mark sailed from Port Hardy at the north end of the island down to Ucluelet, where Erik and I joined him with the crew truck. We swapped and I sailed the rest of the race back to Nanaimo only getting one day of ocean sailing under my belt.
Erik fishished school late this year, on June 26th, so it seemed that the 4th of July came and went very quickly. We enjoyed all the Normandy Park activities, including a fun run, parage, car show, and fireworks.
In July, Mark trained for and rode Ramrod, a 160 mile bike tour of Mount Rainer. Then only two days later, we went on a backpacking trip to Summerland at Mount Rainer (again) and ended up camping on the snow. However it was a good experience for Erik, carrying his own pack and hiking at a pretty good elevation.
This summer, Erik also participated in two weeks of sailing camp at Seattle Yacht Club and has become much more confident in sailing his 14 foot Laser although he prefers just to goof around at the cove near our house. By chance his best friend at school is also a sailor and they were able to go out a few times together sometimes together, sometimes each on their own boat.
In August, we had the Harang Family campout at Deception Pass. Then we did some more day hikes and visited my mom up at Hood Canal. All this time I was training as much as I could by running and hiking, walking down to the beach with a heavy pack all in preparation for "the big one" Mount Whitney.
In July, Mark trained for and rode Ramrod, a 160 mile bike tour of Mount Rainer. Then only two days later, we went on a backpacking trip to Summerland at Mount Rainer (again) and ended up camping on the snow. However it was a good experience for Erik, carrying his own pack and hiking at a pretty good elevation.
Then, I did Santa Cruz 27 Nationals at Whidbey Island Race Week on a different friend's boat. We ended up third, which was pretty good, but I must say a whole week of sailboat racing tires me out!
Just last weekend, Mark, his dad, brother, and I flew down to California, and drove out to Lone Pine to climb the mountain where my dad died two years ago. Fortunately my training paid off, and I was able to make it to the top. It was an incredibly beautiful and inspiring place. I can't think of a better way to end the summer.
No comments:
Post a Comment