Thursday, November 26, 2009

Memorial Speech


My father's memorial was last Sunday. For those who were unable to attend here is the speech I gave.


First I'd like to thank you for coming here today to help us remember my father Wade Brunette. you all know what a special person he was with his twinkling blue eyes, gentle smile, and great love for the outdoors.

I can honestly say that I am the person I am today because of my dad. From him, I first gained my love for the water and sailing. He took me on not only pleasant summer cruises to the San Juan Islands but also on countless sailboat races in all sorts of wind and weather. He shared with me the exhilaration of flying the spinnaker and surfing down waves while holding on for dear life. And although the competition was part of the fun, it was more about being out there on the water, battling the elements, sometimes into the night, occasionally seeing the sunrise glowing pink and gold over the mountains and feeling the bite of the early morning marine air. Later in life, long after he had sold his race boats, we still found a way to be together on the water, but in a more tranquil manner, kayaking silently along the shore.

However, it wasn't just the sea that my dad loved. He equally impressed upon me the ever changing majesty of the mountains, while skiing in the winter and spring and hiking in the summer and fall. He taught me to appreciate the trees and flowers along the trail as well as the view from the top.

Finally, one part of my father that will always remain with me is his fascination with birds. He was forever pointing them out, telling me their names, or paging through his well worn copy of Birds of North America. In fact, eventually we had to get a new book since the old one fell apart. Now every time I see a bird, soaring high in the sky, gliding on the wind or even peacefully perched in a tree, I will think of my father, Wade Brunette, who loved the water, the mountains and nature so much.

Although we are greatly saddened by his passing, I believe it was the most fitting way for him to go. I'll conclude with this quote from Edward Abby.

"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, and dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds."

No comments: