Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Leech Walk


On Sunday, after Mark's 100+ km ride and my 20 km run, I don't know what possessed us to go for a hike, but for some reason (there was nothing good in TV?) at Mark's suggestion, we hopped in the car and drove up to Brisbane Forest Park to visit the little zoo and go for a bush walk. The zoo was pleasant enough. Since it was late it the day it was just us, a Japanese couple and a few wallabies.
We had planned to walk around the lake, but since the gate to the visitor center's parking area was said to close at 4:30, we decided to drive up the road to a different trail head. I suggested the Maiala rain forest without really thinking about the wet conditions and the leeches lurking in the mud. However, as we pulled up, memories of flagellating bloodsucking creatures flashed into my mind. By that time, it was too late and to make matters worse I was wearing just shorts and walking shoes with low cut socks and had forgotten the insect spray. I was an easy target! Now Mark and Erik were onto my fears and every bit of mud or fragment of leaf found in contact with my skin became a potential leech. "Mom, I think you've got a leech on your leg! Oh it's just a leaf ;-)" Despite all the teasing, I continued to carefully step around puddles and gently pull back branches as to avoid any unnecessary leech points of contact.

Erik even took to shaking branches and vines with the idea that leeches might fall from the canopy onto poor mom. Needless to say, I got rather annoyed and tried to keep my distance. But I had the last laugh. When we got back to the car, both Mark and Erik found leeches on their shoes. Although they hadn't latched on yet, Erik was pretty freaked out, kicking his shoes off and jumping into the back of the Subaru. Maybe I'll get a bit more sympathy next time.

1 comment:

First Mate PJ Baker said...

Been there, done that!!!! ~PJ