Poor Mark and Erik are having a tough regatta. Today we sailed two races, a make up race in the morning and the usual afternoon race. As I mentioned earlier, this championship is a long drawn out affair, with seven days of racing (but normally just one longish race each day).
Unfortunately, with about 20 knots of breeze, it was a heavy air day not favoring a light crew like Mark and Erik. Also, since Morton Bay is relatively shallow, 8 to 12 feet, the waves really stack up making for some challenging conditions. To make a long story short, they capsized in both races and in the second one after being passed while turned turtle by old slowpoke mom, they decided to call it quits for the day. Needless to say, they are completely out of contention for the series at this point and can only hope to make a good showing in individual races to save some of their pride. Lighter winds are forecast, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
My boat placed 31st in the first race and then 25th in the second. My starts are still atrocious and I'm pretty cautious, but hey I didn't capsize!
No comments:
Post a Comment