To celebrate Australia Day, we took the "Sea Gherkin" for an inaugural sail. Actually, we had planned to go out last weekend, but the weather didn't cooperate. Today, however, relatively clear skies and gentle breezes made for a pleasant day on the water and an nice escape from the 90 heat and humidity.
Mark and Erik sailed while I paddled my kayak. Upwind I pretty much hold even, or am faster if it's light, since I can go in a straight line while they have to tack back and forth, but downwind they blow past me especially if there's much breeze.
Racing starts up next week, but for today we just sailed on the stretch of river near our house. Mark was able to test out all his re-rigging, Erik got to try steering, and I just got some quiet time alone before going back to work tomorrow.
The set up is pretty easy, like a Tasar, we just lift the boat off the trailer on to the dolly, which is upsidedown on the boat in the picture above. Then we hand push the boat on the dolly down the ramp. After Mark and Erik sail off, I bring the dolly up, grab my kayak off the roof and go. At 25 pounds, the kayak is something I can manage on my own, so it works out well.
I know our aquatic adventures may not appeal to everybody, so I'll try to keep a separate page for boat stuff. Check out the "On the Water" link on the upper right for more sailing and kayaking postings.
No comments:
Post a Comment