Another Afternoon at the Beach
Summer has been lingering on this year with days in the 90's and nights in the 80's, but yesterday it was rainy an cool. Hopefully this was a sign of things to come, as Southeast Queensland desperately needs the rain and we are getting tired of the heat. One of the days when the temperature broke 100F we headed up to Mooloolaba and spent the afternoon at in the mercifully air conditioned Underwater World and then went to the beach once the sun was a bit lower in the sky. We've found that that's often the nicest time of day. Most of the crowds have gone home and the sun is a bit less intense.
Dicky Beach
Other than go to the beach, our weekends have mostly been filled with bike rides, soccer games, occasional sail boat races and dinners with friends. (It's amazing how much more we entertain now that we have a bigger house!) Mark has been going on long (100 km/60 mile) group rides early Saturday mornings, and I've been doing some base training in hope of doing the Noosa Olympic Distance Triathlon in early November. It would be the hardest event that I've ever done, for both distance and competitiveness. It's 1500 metre swim, 40 km cycle, 10 km run all at a pretty amazing pace judging from last year's results. It might seem crazy, but it's perhaps my only chance to do such an event in Australia, which is close to being the triathlon capital of the world, so I've got to go for it. (Don't worry, I'm not thinking of doing any Ironman Events, my knees can't take it!)
I'm still working, but at this point it actually helps me to focus my training since I have to do it on my days off. It's been fun getting back in the classroom although it does make life a bit more hectic.
Erik is doing well and still likes school. Unfortunately, his best friend Mitchell has moved back to Sydney (and his mum, my cycling partner too), so he misses him especially at recess. We will be going to spend Easter with them at the beach and then probably to Sydney sometime before we go, but it's still hard to say goodbye to good friends.
No comments:
Post a Comment