Last week was filled with sailing and water adventures as Erik was enrolled in Royal Queensland Yacht Squadron's (RQYS) Sail and Play program. As the name suggests, it is a low key sailing camp that, in addition to basic sailing, includes fishing, raft building, treasure hunts (navigation) and rides in the Whaler. However, Erik's favorite activity of the whole week was capsizing, which although scary, was exciting and new (no such fun in our old boat with its 1,500 lb keel).
As I've mentioned earlier, it's a 45 minute drive out to Manly on Morton Bay (not Sydney's Manly; that's 1000km away!), so rather than spend the day driving back and forth I had my own little holiday out on the coast: Monday - beach walking, Tuesday and Friday - kayaking, Wednesday -sailing, and Thursday - 45 km bike ride. Not bad for the sailing school taxi driver!
If you are starting to feel jealous, I should point out that our summer vacation comes to an end this week. To finish off the holiday in style, we are taking the ferry across to North Stradbroke Island for a long weekend of camping by the beach, and then it's back to school for Erik and a new job for Kathryn, teaching two days a week at a language school in the city.
1 comment:
Do they tell the kids about the sharks in Morton Bay? They didn't tell us about them until we were safely back at the Club having a drink. Couldn't really tell if they were kidding or not, but I wasn't sure I'd want to be in a laser on the Bay. ~PJ
Post a Comment